Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chapter 53

Jordan came down the stairs with Miri in her arms, wrapped in a towel.  “We heard that her Daddy’s home, that’s why Auntie Jordy hasn’t gotten her dressed”, she said as she sat down in the living room.  “Where is her Daddy at?”

“He’s putting his things away from his trip”, Brie said.  “Give me that wet, naked baby and go get her some clothes from out back after you greet our guest, Jordan.”

“Yes, ma’am”, she said as she pushed to standing before she looked at the couch.  “Are you kidding me?” she asked as she paused mid motion.  “President McAllister?”

“Wow, Jordan Draiman, you’re even prettier in person”, the President drawled.

She blushed.  “Well, thank you.  I’d shake your hand, but my hands are full with my niece.”

“Is this little one your twin brother’s daughter?”

“She is”, Jake called from the Kitchen door way.  “That’s my baby girl.  My little miracle.”  He walked in and handed his mother the clothes he’d grabbed while he was out back.

“What’s her name?”

“Miriam.  We call her Miri.”

“May I hold her?”

“Let my Mom get her dressed first, please, and I don’t care.”  He took Miri from her Auntie and gave her to her Gramma.  Brie took her time because moving too much hurt, but eventually, Miri was dressed.  Jake took his little girl from her Gramma and handed her to the most powerful man in the free world.

“My GOD, she’s so precious”, the President said.  “How old is she?”

“About seven months.  She was actually about a month, month and a half premature.”

“That must be why she’s so small.”  The President played a little with the pretty green eyed baby.  He sat and bounced her on his knee and she giggled and laughed.  She was having fun.  “She’s precious, Jacob.”

“Thank you, Mr. President.”

---------------

Malachai and his family walked in not long after Jake took Miri back and handed her to his mother.  “I FINALLY got Mom’s meds”, he said.

“What was the problem?” Brie asked.

“Apparently, Mom, they needed authorization from the insurance company before they could fill a couple of these stupid things.”

“Great!”  She looked at Jordan.  “Go get me a glass of juice, please Jordan.  My sugar’s starting to fall.  I need to bring it up a little bit until dinner.”

“No problem, Mom”, Jordan said as she stood and went for the kitchen.

“Malachai, my medicine please.”

He handed his mother the bags and took a seat.  He looked at the man that was sitting in the love seat.  “Hey, Dad, are my eyes playing tricks on me?”

“What do you mean by that, ‘Chai?”

“Is that the President?”

“It is.”

Malachai extended his hand across the space between them.  “Welcome to the Draiman homestead, Mr. President.  We’re all honored.”

“Like I told your father, Malachai, it’s me that’s honored.  I’m a big fan.  I feel like a kid in a candy factory.  Forget the store”, President McAllister laughed.

Malachai smiled.  “Well, thank you, Mr. President.  It’s nice to know we’ve got fans in high places.”

---------------

Finally, dinner was ready and the President was the Draiman family’s honored guest.  Brie made herself get up and walk to the dining table so that she could eat a meal with her family.  She loved sitting with the family at meal time.

“So”, the President said to Jordan, “I hear you have quite the ability to tell it like it is, Jordan.”

She nodded first because her mouth was full.  After swallowing that bite of beef rib she was chewing she spoke.  “Yes, sir, Mr. President.  I’ve always had a knack for telling it like it is.  It’s a little something that I get from both of my parents.  I think all ten of us got that gift, to be perfectly honest.”

“I noticed that in our little hearing this morning.  Your brother gave the gentlemen on my Cabinet hell.  Told them that they WOULD get the hell out of his way, like it or not.  Then, I made them get out of his way and, quote, ‘unass’ his money.”

David and Brie both covered their mouths with a hand as they laughed and tried not to spit their drinks everywhere.  “WOW!”, David laughed.  “Why am I NOT surprised?”

“You did tell him NOT to hold his tongue, David”, Brie said with a giggle.

David nodded and took a sip of water.  “Very true.  Nice to know that he took my advice.”

“You’re the Political Scientist in the house, Dad.  Who better to ask?” Jake added.

---------------

“It’s been a privilege to meet you all”, the President said.  “And, if James and Jeremiah would be interested,  I have a good friend out this way that has a very successful law practice.  Should they be interested in a summer internship, I could talk to him for them.”

James and Jeremiah’s eyes doubled in size.  “PLEASE MOM!! PLEASE DAD!!”

David laughed.  “I wanna see those grades come up a little bit more before your mother and I discuss it.  I’m sure your mother will agree.”

They didn’t look to their mother, they looked to the President.  “You’re the President of the United States.  You can override him”, James said.

“I’m afraid not, James.  I might be the President, but I’m not king of this particular castle.  That’s your father.  I’m just a guest.  A powerful guest, but a guest nonetheless.”

David looked back at his twin boys.  “You’re both grounded for two months for that one.”

“But, Dad!” they said together.

“Ok, three.  Whine some more and I’ll make it four.”

“You two had better listen to your father”, the President laughed.

“James Matthew and Jeremiah Alexander, go to your rooms NOW”, their mother barked.  They turned without another word and headed up the stairs as they were told.

David sighed.  “Oy vey.  Teenagers.”  He looked back at the President.  “Do you have kids?”

“Nope, my wife and I haven’t been that fortunate just yet.”

“They’re a mixed blessing… especially when you have as many as my wife and I do.”  David extended his hand.  “It’s been a pleasure, President McAllister.”

“It most certainly has been, Mr. Draiman.”  He took David’s hand and shook.  After they broke their hand shake, the President looked at Jacob.  “I really wish you’d reconsider, Dr. Draiman.”

“Maybe some other time.  Right now, I just couldn’t.  I’m going to enjoy my family and finish my research.  Serving as Surgeon General just doesn’t fit into that plan right now", Jake said with a shake of his head.

“Ok, so be it.  You have my card should you change your mind, right?”

“Of course, Mr. President.”

The President looked over the room as a whole.  “Well, Draiman family, it’s been wonderful.  I had a marvelous time.  Now, I must take my country ass back to Washington to start looking for a new Secretary of Defense.  Have a great rest of your night.”  He looked at Brie.  “Mrs. Draiman, get well soon, ma’am.  Good bye, everyone.”  And with that, he left.

After the President was gone, David spoke.  “Everyone under the age of eighteen needs to take themselves to bed for school in the morning.”  Meagan, Makayla, Jessi and Marc made their way up the stairs after saying good night to everyone.

“I’m going to call it a night myself”, Jake said.  “I’ve got to go back to work in the morning.  I’ve got clinical trials to start.”  He stood and threw his jacket on then got Miri ready to go outside as Delilah put on her coat.  “Here, Grampa, tell Miss Miri night- night”, he said as he held the little girl out to her grandfather.

David took the baby and loved on her a little bit.  “Good night, Miri baby.  Sweet dreams, baby girl.”  He kissed her cheek, then handed her to her grandmother.  “Here you go, Gramma.”

“Night, my Miri girl.  Sleep tight and sweet dreams.”  She loved on her granddaughter then held her out to her parents.  “Good night you two.”  Once Jake took Miri from her, she held her hands out to David,  “Help me stand up, please, baby.  I’m ready to sleep in our bed in your arms for the first time in a week.”

He took her hands and helped her stand.  “Let’s go to bed, then, love.  I’m ready to sleep in our bed with your in my arms for the first time in a week, too.”  He looked to Malachai and Mandy, as well as Jordan and Davina.  “You’re all more than welcome to stay.  Find and empty room and crash.  We’ll see everyone in the morning.”  And with that, he swept his wife carefully up into his arms and carried her up the stairs to their room.

No comments:

Post a Comment