Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chapter 63


It was the rare occasion that Jacob actually got to sleep in, but when he did, he enjoyed it.  It was also the very rare occasion that he had the opportunity to make love to his wife first thing in the morning; but when he got the chance, he enjoyed that too.  It was even better that she woke him with a sweet surprise that morning.  He had thought he was dreaming until he opened his eyes and saw her head bobbing up and down underneath the covers on their bed.  “Oh, my GOD”, he groaned.  “Whatever you do, don’t stop.” All she did was laugh darkly and continue to drive him wild.

When they did finally get up for the day, Delilah made him breakfast because his mother was finished cooking until lunch.  “Sorry, kids”, she said when they walked in.  “You should have been up sooner.”

“It’s fine, Mom”, Jake said with a smile that hadn’t faded since his wife had woken him that morning.

David picked up on his son’s mood.  “Had a good night, did you?” he asked.

Jake shrugged.  “The night was great, but that’s not what put this stupid grin on my face.”

Brie looked at her daughter in law.  “Did you wake him up with a surprise this morning?”

Delilah nodded.  “Sure did, and he enjoyed every second of it.”

“What man doesn’t enjoy that?” Jake asked.

“I can’t think of a man on the planet that doesn’t enjoy that kind of thing”, David said with a laugh.

Maddie wandered into the room as Delilah got out the things to make her man some breakfast with.  “What kind of thing?” she asked.

“Being waked up with a lovely little surprise”, Jake said as he pulled out a chair at the kitchen table to have a seat.

“What was the surprise, Jake?” Maddie asked.  Jake just grinned.  “Delilah, did you wake my big brother up with a little something special this morning?” 

She just shrugged.  “I don’t know if you would call it special, but I know he certainly enjoyed himself.  He woke up and groaned, ‘Oh my GOD.  Whatever you do, don’t stop’.”

Jake laughed.  “Alright, let’s get off the subject of what my wife and I did last night and this morning, please.”  He looked to his father.  “Do you remember saying that you would pay for our honeymoon, Dad?”

“I do, and I’m still willing to do that, but with a few exceptions.”

“Such as?”

“I’ll cover hotels and travel, anything else like little tourist-y things you might want to do comes out of YOUR pocket.”

“So if we wanted to go to Paris and have our picture taken at the Eiffel Tower?”

“I’d pay for your flight from wherever into Paris and your hotel, but getting around the city and having the picture taken is on you.  I do suggest making time to visit the Louvre while you there.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.  Anywhere else you suggest in Europe?”

“Go to Rome and bring me back pictures”, Brie laughed.  “I want pictures of EVERYTHING!”

“We’re going to go to Rome after you retire, baby”, David laughed.

“No, the first place you’re taking me is the Holy Land after I retire.  After we get back from there, I’ll handle any other business that may need to be taken care of.”

David couldn’t help but laugh.  “You got it, beautiful.  When did you want to leave?”

“Right after Jessi and Marc have graduated from High School.”

“Sounds good to me, beautiful.”

---------------

Jake called the Chief of Medicine on his drive to work.  He wanted to at least warn his boss that he was going to want to talk about vacation time.  When his boss answered his office phone, it was a simple greeting.  “Chief of Medicine’s office.”

“Hello, Kevin, it’s Jake.”

“Hello, Jake.  I’m glad you called.  I wanted to congratulate you on completing your research.”

“Thank you.”

“What all do you have left to do?”

“Discharge those who need it, finish my report, and send the whole enchilada to Washington.”

“What were you planning on doing while you wait for approval?  Surely you weren’t planning on pulling the hours that you have been.”

“Oh God no.  That’s actually why I was calling.  I wanted to talk to you about vacation time.”

“Are you coming in to finish things up?”

“I’m about half way there now.”

“Just stop by my office before you leave and we’ll talk.”

“Great, I’ll see you then.”

“Sure will.”

---------------

“The last time I saw you in jeans was Halloween two years ago”, Corporal Jennings commented when Jake walked in the room.

He couldn’t help but laugh.  “I know.  This is what I usually wear when I don’t have to be here.”

“A jeans and t- shirt man.  Why and I not surprised?”

“If I didn’t know any better, Corporal Jennings, I’d say you were flirting with me.”

“I sure am, Dr. Draiman.  I’m just a natural flirt.  I don’t mean anything by it.”

“Good.  The last woman I want to piss off is my wife.  She’s mean.”

“A big strong guy like you is scared of your tiny little wife?”

“And my tiny little mother who will kick my ass for pissing off my wife.”

“Nice.  So, what brings you in today?”

“Getting you out of my Neurology department.”  He pulled his wallet out of his jeans and handed her a card.  “This is a good hypnotherapist who’s a good friend of my Mom’s.  Just mention the last name Draiman and you’ll have no problem getting in.  I’ve already spoken to her and she knows you’re coming.”

“Thanks, Doc.  I really appreciate everything you’ve done.”

“I’m just doing my job, Yvette.  Now, here are your discharge papers.”  He set the papers on the tray.  “Get out of my Neurology ward”, he laughed.

“Gladly, Dr. D.  I’m all packed and ready to go.  My family is on their way to come get me.”

“Good.  I want to see you again in three months for a few more tests and a follow up appointment.  I’ve already set the date and time.”

“Great.  Cool beaners.  I’m out of your hair now.”

“Ok and I’m out of yours for a month.”  He walked out.  Before heading to the other patient that he personally wanted to discharge, he stopped at the nurses’ station and made his notes in her chart, then grabbed Gunny Macadam’s chart and headed to his room.  “How are you doing today, Gunny?” he asked when he walked into the room.

“Ready to go home, Doc.  I’m sick of this place.  I’ve been here for far too long.”

“I hear you.  And guess what I’m here to do?”

“Hopefully to give me my damn walking papers.”

“You got it, Gunny.  I do want to see you back in three months though.”

“Just to check up on my?”

“Yep.”

“You got it, Doc.  I’ll catch you in three months.”

“If you have any problems, just call up here.  You might not get into see me because I’m trying to go on vacation, but someone will get you in.”

“Not a problem, Doc.”

“Alright.  Take care, Gunny.”

“You too, Doc.”

Jake laid his discharge papers in the tray and walked out.  He made his notes at the nurses’ station, discharged all of the other patients that needed it, then went to his office to finish his report.

---------------

When he walked into the house, Jake was doing his happy dance.  All he had to do was find someone to act in his stead and he could go on vacation.  When he and Delilah had first started discussing where they would go on their honeymoon they had gotten their passports; so that was on less worry on their minds.

Delilah was alone with Miri in the living room when he came into the house.  She couldn’t help but laugh.  “What’s got you in a dancing mood, baby?” she asked.

“All I have to do is find someone I trust to act as Chief of Neurology in my stead and we’re off to Europe for two months”, he said as he took his leather jacket off.

“Really?” she squealed.

“Really, really.”

“So, who do you trust enough to do that?”

“There’s only one doctor that I trust enough to act on my behalf as Chief, and that’s Doctor Thomas Thibodaux.”

“See if he’ll do it, then.”

“I’m waiting on a call back.  He was in surgery when I called on the way home.”

“So, as soon as you find someone to be Acting Chief of Neurology, we’re packing out things and getting on a plane to Ireland?”

He nodded.  “That’s right.  We should probably start packing tonight.”

“You think he’ll do it?”

“Fuck yeah!  He’ll want to bring his niece over early so that she can meet Dad, but that’s about it.”

She smiled and kissed him.  “I think we need to take little miss over there out back so we can start packing.”

He laughed and kissed her again.  “Sounds like a plan to me.”

She made sure that sleeping Miri was secure on the couch and jumped up and threw her arms around his neck.  “I can’t believe this is actually happening.  I thought your research was NEVER going to end!”

When her arms went around his neck he wrapped his around her waist and picked her up off of the floor to spin her around.  “Same here.”  He spun in a circle.  “GOD, I love you!” he said and pressed his lips to hers.  “Thank you so very much for your patience with this fucking project of mine.”

“It’s not a problem.  But, after we get back from Europe I want to finish my Mind- Body training.”

“No problem.  I’m going to be home a LOT more often now.  I am the boss man after all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment