Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chapter 13


After finishing his work for the day, Jake headed home for the evening.  He left instructions that he was only to be paged if “someone’s dying from a SEVERE cranial hematoma.  I mean a huge chunk their brain had better be missing.  Do NOT page me over a fucking seizure or when I get here, I’m killing someone.  I will become Hannibal Lecture.”  He made sure he was perfectly understood and left.

Little did he know, but during his afternoon rounds, his father called his mother and gave her the good news.  For dinner, they would celebrate by Jake’s favorite dinner- BBQ beef ribs, potato salad, and corn on the cob.  Delilah helped Brie make dinner for her meat and potatoes man.

Jake walked into the house and sniffed the air, then looked over his shoulder at is father.  “Really?  You called Mom?”

“Yep.  You know how your mother likes to do something special for your kids when something big happens.  The Director giving you your grants is a big enough deal that your mother wanted to do something special for you.”

“But, did you really have to call Mom, Dad?”

“Yes; yes I did.  Now, why don’t you quit bitchin’ and go tell your mother thank you for making your younger siblings eat your favorite meal?”

Jake chuckled and shook his head.  “Yes, sir.”  He walked into the kitchen and hugged his mother.  “Thank you, Mom.  Dinner smells wonderful.”

“Don’t just thank me, Jacob.  Give your woman a little love too.  She did a lot of the work”, Brie told her son when she hugged him.

Jake moved to his fiancée and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind.  “Thank you, baby”, he whispered against her neck.

“You’re welcome, honey”, she said, taking a spoon and dipped it in the potato salad.  “Taste this.  It seems like it’s missing something.”

“I’ll taste it, but I’m the last person to be able to tell you what’s missing.”

She held the spoon out to him and gave him a look.  “Just shut up and eat the damn potato salad.”

He at the spoonful and made a face.  “Something’s missing alright.  Mom, taste this.”

Brie took a spoon and tasted the salad.  “Yeah, something’s missing.  Hold on.”  She moved to the spice cabinet and pulled a few things out, then a couple of things from the fridge, and doctored the bland tasting salad.  After stirring in the ingredients, she said to both of them.  “Hold on.  David?” she said.

“Yeah, baby?”

“Taste the potato salad and let me know what you think.”  She gave him a spoonful of the undoctored salad.

He took the bite and spit it into the trashcan.  “That was gross.”

“Ok, try this.”  She fed him a spoonful of the salad she just doctored.

He actually ate that bite.  “That’s much better.  Jake, try it now.”

He took a bite of the salad.  “Much better.”  He took a spoonful and offered it to Delilah.  “Here babe, try it now.”

She took a bite.  “MUCH better.  Not so bland now.”

“Usually, I put shallots in my potato salad, but we’re out”, Brie commented.  “It happens.”

---------------

After dinner that night, before going to be, David and Jake sat and had a drink.  “Dad, can I ask you something?”

“When have I ever told you that you couldn’t, Jacob?”

“Can we start trying to pull the wedding together?  I’d like for Delilah to be my wife before my research eats the world.”

“Let me talk to your mother.  I’ll see what she wants to do.  You two are going to want a small wedding, right?”

“Right.  Nothing too big.  Family and a small amount of friends.”

“Have you two told her parents?”

“She was raised by her grandparents.  Her mother was a drug addict and she never knew her father.  He bolted.  Her grandparents died not long after she started at Loyola.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”  David took a sip of his drink.  “Like I said, son, let me talk to your Mom, and I’ll see what can be done.  She pulled renewal ceremony together in no time.  The biggest bitch was finding the right place to have the ceremony.”

“I remember that.  That was the craziest time.  All the damn fittings and shit.”

“That was pretty crazy.  Flying back and forth between here and Chicago.  Good thing I had so many frequent flyer miles from before the war.”

“Yeah, because it would have cost a fortune to fly all ten of us plus Morbus and a pregnant Karyn out to Chicago for all that shit without them.”

---------------

He curled up next to the woman he loved after he finished his night cap.  He was tired and the drink had been hard earned.  He’d busted his ass to get that drink.

Once he relaxed in the bed next to her, she laid her head in his chest.  She was already asleep.  She’s such an angel when she sleeps, he thought to himself.  She’s so peaceful; like she doesn’t have a care in the world.  She’s a miracle in herself.  What did I do to deserve such an angel?

She stirred slightly and his arm constricted around her shoulders protectively.  So, this was what it felt like to be so in love that you’d do anything to protect the other person.  He’d seen it in action before but never truly understood the feeling until she stirred.  If she had whimpered, he would have pulled her closer to him if he could.  If he could pull her into him any closer than she already was, he would have.  He only wanted her to be safe and happy.

He gazed down her body and wondered what she’d look like pregnant with is child.  I’m sure she’d be beautiful.  But, she’s so small.  She’s this tiny little thing.  She can’t be taller than five foot.  She’s so small.  But, she’s perfect for me in everywhere.  She’s my balance; my yin; my serenity- she’s the essence of my very soul.  I hope she knows just how much I truly do love her and have since the day we met.  If not, I’m going to spend the rest of our lives together trying to show her.

He felt sleep trying to over take him as he lay there in their huge bed.  One more thought crossed his mind before he let the darkness overtake him.  When Mom retires, I’m going to buy this house.  No need in letting it go to someone who will have no appreciation for it or reverence for the memories that my family has made here.  I’ll never stand for it.

As he finished the thought, tiredness hit him in a wave and he nodded off to sleep.  Even being asleep, he still thought of everything that had happened and what still could.  And, he still dreamed of his little green eyes angel.  And he didn’t mean the one in his arms; he meant the one that had yet to be conceived.

---------------

Their thought and dreams were identical.  She saw a beautiful little girl with springy brown curls and her eyes.  Her little lips were full and pouting just like her father’s.  She was just adorable.

I really hope that we start trying to have a family together after the wedding.  I would love to carry a piece of him inside my body for nine months.  That would be a blessing to me.  He’s already such a blessing.  He loves be in spite of who I am and because of who I am.  He’s my god send.

No comments:

Post a Comment