Monday, January 3, 2011

Chapter 5

He got up early the next morning so that he could get a bit of a work out, shower, eat, get dressed real nice, and head into Denver to get Delilah.  It was difficult for him to contain his joy.  He just couldn’t have been more happy than he was as he drank his coffee for the morning and ate a little bit of breakfast.

After breakfast on the patio with his parents he went and got a shower.  Once he felt he was clean enough, he stood at his closet with a towel around his waist and tried to find something nice to wear.  He couldn’t help but notice that his wardrobe looked a lot like his fathers, except that he had more suits in his closet then his father- far more suits.  Going to med school meant that he had to have a lot of suits and ties for the time he spent at the hospital.  He’s also invested in scrubs for those nights he pulled doubles and triples.  They were comfortable to sleep in.  His mother had the right idea when it came to the scrubs.

Finally he decided on a pair of blue jeans, a blue shirt with some “gothic” style graphics on the front, and a pair of black boots.  He grabbed a light jacket from his closet and slung it over his shoulders, then grabbed his wallet and keys off of his dresser, and headed down the stairs.  “Mom, Dad, I’ll be back in a little while.”

“Ok, son”, Brie called from her office.

“Drive safely, Jake”, David called his office where he was making a phone call.

“Will do, Dad!” he called back and headed out the door.  When he reached the garage, he hit the automatic door opener to see his car.  He smiled.  Though he had a thing for classic cars, his baby was a 2025 Volvo S60R, the first in the recontinuation of the R series from Volvo.  He loved that car.  He hit the button to unlock doors, got in, cranked it over, and listened to his kitten purr for a moment.  If I hadn’t had my heart set on medical school, I would have become a mechanic, he thought with a deep breath.  He had a memory card of all his music in his pocket that he slipped into the slot on the dash board, then gently put his girl into drive and pulled away from the house.

---------------

The wait was unbearable.  How much longer would the damn plane be?  He checked the schedule again.  It said that the flight had already arrived.  He looked out the window at the gate just in time to see a plane taxing toward the gate.  His heart rate sped.  He was finally going to see Delilah after three and a years away.  He was so excited.  He stood and waited impatiently for her to get off the plane, searching the faces of the people until he spotted her.  He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted to her.  “LILAH!”  Her head snapped up at the sound of her name and she searched for the person that shouted for her.  He did it one more time.  “LILAH!  OVER HERE!”  Her eyes found him and lit up when he waved.  She ran for him at full speed and jumped on him.  He wrapped his arms around her and smiled as he held her against him.  “I can’t believe you’re here”, he whispered.

“I can’t believe I’m actually in your arms again.  I’ve missed you so much, Jakey.  Three and a half years sucks”, she said in the melodic voice that entranced him every time she spoke.  It was almost like she was singing.

“Tell me you’re never going to let me leave again and I’ll be ok with that.”

“You’re never leaving me again, Jacob Micah Draiman.  Get used to seeing a lot more of me”, she giggled.

“That’s A- ok with me, beautiful.  As long as you mean it, it’s ok with me.”  He pulled back and looked her in the eyes.  “What do you say to getting some lunch here in Denver, then getting you back to my parents’ place in Colorado Springs?”

“I’m not hungry and I’d love to meet the man and woman that raised such a remarkable young man.  I’m sure they’re proud of you.”

“They are, but let’s not talk about me right now.  Tell me what’s been going on with you in the last three and a half years.”  He took her hand and led her out to his car as she updated him on everything she’d done in the time they’d been apart.

---------------

When they pulled into the drive way the led up to the massive mansion that his family inhabited, her eyes doubled in size.  “It’s so BIG!” she said breathlessly.

“And just think, from the age of eight until the age of eighteen, I grew up here.  My parents are talking about selling it after all of my siblings have graduated from high school and headed off to college to do whatever it is that they’re going to do”, Jake said as he parked his car in the garage.

She looked at all of the vehicles in the garage.  “GOD!  You guys have a lot of cars and stuff in here.”

“My Dad likes his toys.”

“If you’re parents are half of what you say they are, then I’m not surprised.”  She leaned in and pressed her lips to his cheek.

He forgot for a moment how to breathe.  Is this what Mom puts Dad through every time she kisses him?, he asked himself when he finally remembered where he was and what he was doing.  He turned off the car and got out to make his way around to the passenger side to open the door for her.  She stepped out after taking his offered hand.  Her hands moved up to rest against his cheeks.  “You’re such a gentlemen, Jakey.  What did I do to deserve that?”

“That’s how I was raised, honey.  I grew up watching my father do this stuff for my mother.  I was taught to be a gentleman.”

“It’s almost hard to believe.  You’re father’s this big tough rock star and yet he’s so soft and sweet with your mother, isn’t he?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you, so I’ll show you.  Come on and you can meet my parents.”  He gently pulled her toward the house.

---------------

“Hey, Mom.  Hey, Dad.  I’m home!” he called.

“On the back porch, Jacob”, called his father’s voice.

Delilah looked at him in shock.  “I thought you were joking all that time in school.  I apologize.”

“You’re forgiven. I never could stay mad at you.”  He kissed the back of her hand that he was holding in his as they walked through the kitchen to the back patio.  “Hey, Mom.  Hey, Dad.  This is Delilah Holt.  Lilah, these are my parents, David and Brie Draiman.”

“Pleased to meet you, Delilah”, Brie smiled up at the young woman.

“And I you, ma’am.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Delilah”, David said to her.

“Same here, sir.  This is… I mean, wow.  This is an honor.  I thought your son was kidding when he told me that he was the son of the Voice of the Resistance.”

David looked at his son.  “You didn’t tell her?”

“People don’t want to believe that David Draiman has a child that wants to be a doctor, Dad.  Unless they see you for themselves, the refuse to believe me”, Jake responded with a laughed.

“Why will people believe that Malachai and Jordan are my kids, but not you?”

“Because they went into the ‘family business’.  The followed in your footsteps and went into the music industry.  I followed more along mom’s path and went into the medical field.  People just don’t want to believe that a child of David Draiman would want to become a doctor.”

“The thing is, I’ve worked in the medical field before.  It was the business end, but before I joined Disturbed I was an Administrator for a nursing home.”

“WOW”, Delilah said, the wonderment in her eyes evident.  “See, I didn’t know that.”

“It’s not a fact that I hide.”

“I’m sorry if I offended you, Mr. Draiman.”

“Don’t worry, Delilah, you’re fine.  It takes a lot for someone to offend me.”

“Nowadays”, Brie mumbled under her breath.

“What?”  David looked at his wife.

“You heard me.”

“Someone wants to be dropped in the pool”, he said with a laugh.

“Someone else wants to go swimming too if he thinks he’s going to drop someone else in the pool.”

“I do have company, you know”, Jake said.

“Take her and let her get settled into your room.  Take her out on the four wheelers.  Do something, Jake.  You’re mother’s about to go for a dip in the pool.”  David stood and picked his wife up.  Jacob took Delilah into the house and turned back toward the pool after hearing a big slash.  He turned around just in time to see both of his parents surface.  He couldn’t help but laugh as they teased each other.

“I told you that you were going to swim too, buster”, Brie laughed.

“IT WAS WORTH IT!” David laughed in return.  “You’re all wet.”

“And so are you.”

---------------

“You’re parents are so funny, Jakey”, Delilah said when they were upstairs in his room.

“Oh, I know.  They raised me, remember?”

“Yeah.  And I can see where you get those devilishly good looks from.  Your father is a handsome man.  And your mother is beautiful.  You look a lot like your Dad, but you have a few of your mother’s more subtle features”, she said as she moved around the room and get things set up.

He stopped her by taking her hand.  “Like what?”

Her free hand came up to brush his cheek.  “Your face is softer.  Your cheekbones are soft like your mother’s.  Your eyes are shaped like hers too.  Very much the almond shape.”  Her finger tips traced over each featured as she spoke.  “Your lips are full like your father’s and your nose is the same shape..  You’ve got that barrel- chested athletic build your father does.  But, the subtle differences are what catch the eyes.”

He sucked in a deep breath as he tried to keep his composure while her fingers played lightly over his skin.   “Why are you doing this to me?”

“I’m just showing you what you do and don’t have in common with the man whom you look a lot like.”

“And I’m trying to keep my decorum as you do so, but you’re just as intoxicating to me now as you were the day I met you.”

She pressed her finger to his lips.  “Jacob.  Do me a favor.  Shut up and kiss me.”

He pulled her into his embrace and did just that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment