Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chapter 39


Jake and Delilah slept late the next day.  They both needed to rest and Delilah was sleeping off pain medication.  No one bothered them because everyone knew that the new parents had been through hell and back over the last week.  They deserved the break.

When her Aunties and Uncles that still lived at home left for the day, Miri was left with Gramma and Grampa.  Grampa decided he was going to take his two favorite girls out for lunch that afternoon.  “It’s nice to get the hell out of the house for a little while”, Brie laughed.  Now that Maddie had graduated from massage school, Brie was already starting to phase out the number of clients she saw in a given week.  Her monthly and faithful clients would stay with her until the week that the twins graduated from high school, and Body &Soul Massage and Holistic Health was also taking new clients so that Maddie could build up her own faithful clientele.  The only client Brie wouldn’t give up was her husband.  “It seems like all I’ve done the past several years is see clients and do massage.”  Her laugh was music to his ears.

“Because that’s really all you have done the past several years.  I told you that you didn’t have to work and that I would take care of you.”

“David, you know me better than that.”

“I know.  You can’t sit still.”  Miri’s car seat was sitting on a chair in between them on the outside of the table they sat at.  When she started fussing, David gave her his finger.  “Shh, little one.  You’re okay.”

“You know Jake and Delilah are freaking out if they’re up.”

“Oh, I know, and I sent Jake a text if he even bothers to check his text messages anymore.  I also left them a note on the kitchen table.”

“Good, then they’ll get the message one way or another.”

“They sure will.”

Brie went back to the former subject.  “Anyway, where were we?  Oh yeah.  I’m actually very glad that Maddie’s agreed to start taking over a lot of my clients.  She’s does exactly what I tell her to do for each of them.”

“Like what?” David asked with a grin.  He knew she’d never betray confidentiality.

“You know I can’t tell you that, you big goof.”  She reached behind her and started massaging her lower back.

“I know, I was just testing you.”  He saw her rubbing her back and looked concerned.  “Have you gotten that checked out yet?”

“I’m waiting on test results from the a few weeks ago.  Dr. J is getting old and slow.  He told me that he may have to send me to an orthopedist or neurologist depending on what’s wrong with my back.  I think it’s a joint problem.”

“You need to do something about that or you’re going to be retiring earlier than you planned.”

“I think I’m having the same problem my father started having when he was in his late fifties and early sixties.  I think that the vertebrae in my lumbar spine are fusing together.”

“Ouch!” he said a little too loudly.  The exclamation startled Miriam.  “Hush, baby girl.  I’m sorry.  Grampa didn’t mean to scare you”, he said as he pulled the little girl out of the car seat and gave her a bottle.  “There you go.  I guess you were starting to get a little hungry too, huh, sweetie?”

Brie smiled.  She couldn’t help but think that her husband was too cute as he dealt with their new baby granddaughter.  It was amazing how he could go from being strict and stern to soft in the matter of seconds; especially when there was a little girl concerned.  He was a sucker for little girls.  “Baby, you’re so cute right now”, she laughed.

“The hell I am”, he laughed.  “I’m not cute.  That last time I was cute I was a boy around Elijah’s age.  I haven’t been cute since then, either.”

“Ok, if you say so, Mr. Macho man.”

----------------

When they got back to the house, Jake and Delilah were sitting in the living room watching TV.  “Thanks for the millions of text messages and the note on the table.  Never would have figured out that you and Mom took Miri out to lunch if you hadn’t fucking advertised it.  Hell, even Maddie told me that you and Mom left after she came down from doing a massage.  Oh, Mom, by the way, Maddie wants to know how much you want for the hydraulic table because she’s officially in love with it.”

“It’s not for sale just yet so I haven’t decided”, she said with a laugh.  “I hope Maddie’s got an opening because her old Mom could really use a massage right about now.”

Maddie came down the stairs then and started flipping through her planner.  “Yeah, I’m open now.  What do you want done, Mom?”

“Whatever you can on my lumbar spine.  I’m in so fucking much pain right now I can barely stand up straight.”

“Well, stone is out, then.  How about I just give you a Swedish massage to figure out what the hell is wrong with you, then we’ll figure out where to go from there.”

“Whatever you say, Madison.  Just get rid of the pain.”  Brie turned to her husband.  “I’ll be back in a little while.  I need to get rid of the pain.”

“Ok, baby.  I’ll be down here with the kids.”  He kissed his wife and watched as she followed their daughter up the stairs.

---------------

Right as Brie came down the stairs, Jordan came into the house in tears.  “Stupid fucking whore!” she shouted.

“Jordan, what’s going on?” Jake asked his twin.

“Fucking Sammi”, she cried.  “She intentionally miscarried the baby she was going to have me adopt and she knew how badly I wanted to be a mother.”

David looked at his oldest daughter and had her sit on the couch next to him.  “You’re going to be ok, Jordan.  You’ll survive this, baby girl.”

“But, Daddy, that was supposed to be my baby”, she sobbed.

“I know, Jordan, and you were already preparing for him and now what?  He’s not going to be coming now.  What are you going to do with all that stuff you’ve been buying?  What about the room you turned into a nursery?”

“I want my little boy that whore promised me, Daddy.  I’ve already spoken with his father.  As long as Sammi wasn’t raising him then he had not problem helping me out and being a father to his son.  And now, he’s not going to come.”

“Why don’t you ask him to be a sperm donor for you and YOU actually carry the baby, Jord?” Jake asked his sister.

She looked at him like he’d sprouted a second head.  “What?”

“I mean it.  There have been several rock star women that have carried pregnancies and not ruined their figures.  Look at the lady that used to front No Doubt.  I think her name is Gwen Stefani.”

“You know, Jake?  You’re a fucking genius!” she said with a sniffle and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.  “Just fucking brilliant.  And they can screen for boys too, so that I can still have a boy.”

“Whatever floats your boat sis.  Just remember that Sammi wasn’t your only option.  You always have a womb and can carry a baby yourself.”

 “What would I do without you, Jake?” she smiled and kissed him on the cheek.  “If it weren’t for you being the one to keep me grounded when we were kids, I’m sure that things would have turned out a little differently than they have.”

---------------

Mama, Daddy, and baby girl were reunited and back in their little house.  Little Miri was in her bassinet in the living room as her parents watched a movie.  If she fussed, Daddy would jump and tend to whatever she needed.  Whether she needed changed, held, or whatever, Daddy made sure that his little miracle got what she needed.

It was finally setting in for Jake that he was a father now.  His little girl was right there in front of his eyes.  He couldn’t believe that he made something so beautiful.  True, he had help, but his little angel was the most beautiful thing he’d ever laid eyes on.  Her mother was tied with her for that spot.

When he crawled in bed with his wife that night, he was actually a little grateful that she was already asleep so that he was alone in his thoughts.  He wrapped his arms around the woman he loved the best her could and settled in.  We made such a little angel, he thought.  She’s the most beautiful thing in the world.  Just like her mother, as a matter of fact.  He brushed a lock of her hair from her face and pressed his lips to her cheek affectionately.  You two are my world and while I’m home I going to do my best to take care of you both.  I never want to let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment