Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chapter 17

As Halloween ebbed closer, so did the impending date that Jake and Delilah would say “I do”.  His mother was planning the wedding.  Delilah thought it would be funny to have the wedding on Halloween night.  Jake would still go to work that day, and Delilah would still go to class at the Body- Mind Institute in Colorado Springs.  When they got home, they’d get ready to get married.

When deciding what to do for Halloween that day, Jake had a brilliant idea.  He decided that he was going to become his father for a day.  It would be a lot of work, but he didn’t care.  He just wanted to fuck with people.  He would do whatever it took.  A couple of the other doctors he worked with decided they’d dress like the rest of Disturbed and they’d do a mock, impromptu performance.  Jake was actually going to sing while the other doctors faked playing.  As a treat for the patients, Jake would pass out photos of Disturbed that his father and the rest of the band had already signed.  It was something to lift the patient’s spirits.

Three weeks before Halloween, Jake went to a tattoo/piercer that his family trusted.  The piercer took one look at him and laughed.  “This is too fucking ironic.  You look just like him and now you want his piercings.  Did you want your ears done too?”

“Yeah.  The works.  I want all of it done.”

“You realize you can CHANGE them, but if you want to keep them you have to leave them in for six to eight weeks.”
 
“Yes, I realized this.”  The piercer had no idea that Jake was planning taking them out right after his wedding. "My father wears them.”

“Is he trying to be just like David Draiman too?”

“If you can try to imitate yourself, then yeah, I guess so.”

“You’re telling me your father is David Draiman?”

Jake rolled his eyes.  “Why is that so fucking hard to believe?”

“It just is, for some reason.  Prove it.”

Jake pulled his cell phone out of his pocket on his jeans.  “You want proof?  I’ll let you talk to him.”  He called his father.

“Hello?” David asked when he picked up.

“Hey, Dad.  I’m at the piercer to get my ears done and the bastard doesn’t believe you’re my Dad.”

“You’re trying to get my signature double labret piercing for that stupid stunt you’re wanting to pull for Halloween, aren’t you?”

“Well, that too.  You wanna help your son out here, Pop?”

“Call me ‘Pop’ again, and I’m gonna break my foot off in your ASS, boy.  You might be 24, but I can still whip your ass”, David said with a laugh.  “Put the guy on the phone.  I’ll talk to him.”

Jake handed the phone to the piercer.  “Hello, I’m Korbin Hayden.”

“Korbin, this is David of Disturbed.  How are you?”

Korbin was speechless.  “Wow, you’re really you and you’re really on the phone with me.”

“Yes.  Now, Korbin, that young man in your shop is, in fact, my son.  His name is Dr. J. Micah Draiman.  Just give him the damn piercings, please.”

“Will he take care of them?”

“What part of, ‘He’s a DOCTOR’, didn’t you  catch, Korbin?”

“Oh, yeah, sorry.  He looks just like you.”

“He gets that all the time, and so do I when we’re in public together.  Just give him the fucking piercings.  And, be sure they’re the proper gauge, too.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Thank you.  Now, give the phone back to my son, please.”

Jake took his phone back.  “Thanks for the help, Dad.”

“Why don’t people believe you, Jacob?”

“I don’t know, Dad.  I really wish I could answer that, but I can’t.  I’ve been accused of being your nephew before.”

“No.  You were accused of being your Uncle Ben’s son?”

“Yeah.  It was pretty funny.  I called Uncle Ben that night and told him.  He thought it was funny.”

“What did the person say?”

“’You might be related to David from Disturbed but there’s no way you’re his son.  His nephew, maybe, but not his kid.’”

David laughed.  “The ignorance of people.”

“No kidding.  Well, I need to get off of here to get my costume for Halloween started.”

“Are you SERIOUSLY going to get married with those in?”

“Yes, yes I am.  Delilah thought it would be funny if we dressed like you and Mom for the wedding.”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do about that fiancée of yours, Jacob”, David said with a laugh.

“I wonder the same thing myself sometime, then I tell myself that if I tried to change her, then she wouldn’t be the woman I fell in love with.”

“Get the damn piercings and get your ass home.  We’ll see you then”, David laughed even harder as he hung up the phone.

Jake looked Korbin.  “Shall we do this so that I can get home to my future wife?”

---------------

When Jake walked in the house, you couldn’t even tell that he’d JUST gotten his labret pierced.  He wore clear plugs in his lips to hide the piercings.  He couldn’t wear them for work, but he still had to do it.  The only time he was allowed to wear them for work was Halloween.  After that and his wedding, he’d never wear the piercings again.  He was even going to let his ears heal and his hair grow back.  His father could wear the bald look; it just wasn’t for him.

“Doesn’t even look like you got them done”, Jordan said from the kitchen table when he walked into the room.

“That was kinda the point, Jordan”, Jake said as he grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.  “I can’t wear them for work because of all the psychiatric patients that are also under my care.  Not all of them are violent, but some of them are and piercings like Dad’s are a prime target to get yanked out should one of those patients get out of hand.”

She nodded.  “What about my lip ring?”

“They’d try.  I’ve seen female doctors and nurses get earrings ripped out, so, who’s to say they wouldn’t go for the lip ring?”

Jordan put her hand over her lip.  “Ouch.  That sounds like it would be painful.”

“And bloody”, Malachai said as he sipped his coffee.

“It’s both”, Jake said.  He looked at Malachai.  “Where are my niece, nephews and sister in law?”

“The kids are out back playing with the quads, Jessi, and Marc and Mandy is getting her hair done at the moment.”

“Really?  Then what?”

“She’s coming over here for a family dinner with the rest of us.”

Jake nodded.  “Where’s Sammi?” he asked Jordan.

“With her family for the evening.  We’re going to meet back up at home.”

“Cool.  You all plan on being at my wedding, right?”

“Yes, Jacob.  Like we’d miss watching you say I do on Halloween.  Your niece and nephews are going to be pissed that they can’t go trick or treating, but they’ll get over it”, Malachai said.

“I would hope so.  Not trick or treating isn’t the end of the world.  We didn’t do it for eight years.”

“Oh, dear GOD, don’t remind me.”

---------------

When it was time for dinner, everyone was in the house.  David sat at the head of the table as the head of the family.  Brie took her place on his right hand as usual.  Each of the other Draiman children and their significant others were at their usual place at the table.  There was only one empty seat.  Maddie’s seat.  “It’s a little strange having family dinner and Maddie’s not here”, Jessi pointed out.

“Maddie’s getting her education out of the way so that she can have a career”, Brie said.  “She’ll be home in the couple weeks.  They’ll be taking time off for the Holidays.  She’ll even be allowed home for Hanukkah because it starts over her Christmas break.”

“How is she doing in school, anyway?” David asked.

“She’s doing well.  Passing all of her classes with nothing less than a B.  She’s not really liking Shiatsu very well because Andy’s making her think outside the box, but she respects him and she can’t wait to have him for Sports.”

“Well, that’s great news”, Mandy said, and looked at Delilah.  “How are your classes coming?”

“Not bad.  It’s a little confusing, because you have to put yourself in a completely different mindset to do this work, but it’s lucky that no matter what the situation, I can detach myself from it and deal with it properly.”

“That’s a necessity with the Body- Mind work.  Part of the reason I didn’t pursue it was because I can’t do that”, Brie added as she cut into her chicken- fried steak.

“I’m learning that.  I’m glad it’s possible for me to do it, or I’d be stuck trying to find someplace around here to teach dance.  I really didn’t want to pursue dance as a career to begin with.”

“Well, that’s understandable”, Jordan said.  “I mean, if you really weren’t passionate about it to begin with, then why NOT find something else to do?”

---------------

“It’s good that my brothers and sisters all like you, baby”, Jake said as they got ready for bed that night.

“I’m glad they all like me too.  It would make life hell if they didn’t, not that I’d really care.  What really matters is that your parents like me.  That’s all I really care about.”

“Good, because that’s all I really care about too”, he said with a smile as he settled into the bed.

She curled up next to her man and snuggled in close.  “I love you, my Jakey”, she said softly.

He smiled.  “I love you too, my beautiful Lilah.”

She stretched up and pressed her lips to his, keeping the kiss soft and slow.  He responded to her kiss the way he always did; with a hand sliding up her back, underneath the camisole she wore for bed each night until he pushed it up enough to pull it off over her head.  Slid her hand under the waistband of his shorts, and slid them off his hips.  Once they had both been stripped of their clothes, Jake rolled and placed himself between her legs and showed her what pleasure was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment