Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chapter 14


The nearest medical school started sending Jake applications for interns that wanted to work on his research project.  He sorted through them on his days off.  But, he’s started noticing that his vision would blur at odd times.  He’d also noticed that the blurred vision would be accompanied by a severe headache.  Usually, the blur would subside if he walked away from what he was doing for a few minutes and let his eyes rest.
After a day a the twenty- five applicants, Jake had to pull over to the side of the road as he drove home because his head was pounding and he couldn’t see five feet in front of him.  He dug his phone out of his pocket and dialed his father’s phone number from memory.  “Dad, I need someone to come get me, please”, he said when his father answered the phone.

“What’s wrong, Jacob?” David asked.

“My vision is blurry, I can’t see a damn thing, and I have a splitting headache.  I had to pull off to the side of the highway or I was going to end up with my car wrapped around something or up someone’s ass end.”

“I’ll grab Delilah and we’ll head out to you.  I’d ask if you can see the mile marker sign but that would be pointless.  We’ll look for your car.”

“I think I’m about 45 minutes from the house.”

“Ok, I’ll be right there son.”  David hung up.

Jake slid over from the driver’s seat to the passenger seat and sat the seat back.  He locked the doors and covered his eyes with his lab coat and closed them.  He couldn’t see anything so he didn’t see the point in seeing his eyes opened.  It didn’t take very long for him to relax just enough to doze off to sleep.

---------------

The roar of his father’s motorcycle woke him.  He sat up and looked out the window into the blinding light of the bike’s single headlight.  A small figure dismantled the bike and headed toward the car.  He hit the button to unlock his doors to let the small person in.  “Jakey, baby, are you ok?” she asked once she opened the door and flooded the car with light.

His hand flew up to shield his eyes from the light.  “I’m fine, Lilah, honey.  I don’t know what’s causing this shit, but if I can’t drive, then it’s time to get my ass to an eye doctor.”

“Do you have to work tomorrow?” she asked as she got into the car and adjusted the driver’s seat so that she could drive home.

“No, thankfully.  I’m off for the next two days.”

“Then I’m going to try to get you into the optometrist in the next two days.  You need to be able to see so that you can work.”

“I was actually going to ask you to get the number for the family eye doctor from my mom and do just that.”

“First thing in the morning I’m all over it, honey. You, however, had better keep your ass in bed.”  Her tone made it clear that she was not to be questioned.  She started the car and pulled back onto the highway, her future father in law hot on her tail.

He smiled and chuckled.  “Yes, Ma’am.  I’ll stay in bed until you come get me.  How does that sound?”

“Sounds good.  And if I catch you doing any research, I’m going to plant my foot in your ass and I’m sure your Mom will help me.”

He laughed.  “You got it.  No research.  I don’t think my head will let me.  But, I do think it’s time for glasses or contacts if I’m getting to where I can’t see to drive because my vision is blurring.”

“Then, I’ll see what I can do to get you into the optometrist tomorrow.”

---------------

When they got home, his fiancée and his father helped him into the house.  His vision was clearing, but he didn’t want to chance walking into something and hurting himself.  That really would have sucked.  When he was in, his mother was waiting with three things: a glass of water, two naproxen 600 mg, and a needle of vicodine.  She’d leave the choice of how to kill the pain up to her son.  “Jacob, you have two choices, take a pill or get a shot.  Pick one.”

“What for?”

“Your Dad mentioned a headache as he headed out the door to take Delilah to go pick you and your car up.  What’s it going to be?”

He sighed and looked at his watch.  His vision had cleared enough to see it.  “I need to eat something first, Mom.  Then I don’t really care as long as we get rid of the headache.”

“I’ve got dinner on the stove.  You’ll eat, take something for that headache and take your ass to bed.”

“Mom, I’m 23…”

“And I’m your mother.  Anyway, I bet your fiancée will agree with me.”

“I sure do, baby.  You eat, take something for the headache, and go to bed.  Argue with your Mom or ME again, and I’m sure you won’t like your punishment.”

“Oh, you’re going to PUNISH ME?”

“Jacob Micah Draiman, put your ass on that couch and don’t argue anymore, or you don’t get laid for a week.”

He looked over his shoulder at his father.   “Do NOT look at me.  I’m not involved in this.  I have learned over twenty four years of marriage NOT to argue with your mother.  You’d do well to learn the same, my son.”  David went up the stairs to his office to finish the work he was doing when Jake called.

Jake sighed.  “Ok, you win.  I’m clearly outnumbered here.”

---------------

After dinner, Jake did what he was told.  He went upstairs to his room with a little help.  He could see just fine, but Delilah wasn’t willing to take any chances.  She helped him up the stairs after he got the shot of vicodine.

Once he was lying down, he turned on the TV and started flipping through the channels.  He tried to find something that would be half assed interesting.  He settled on the TLC watching brain surgery.  They were operating in a tumor in the cerebral cortex.  He loved it.

Delilah crawled into bed next to him.  “Hey, before you pass out, I want to talk to you about something.”

“Make it quick, please.  I’m fading fast.”

“I think I’m going to pursue that Body Mind thing your mom told me about.  I’m going to ask her about it in the morning after I call to make your eye appointment.”

“Then do it, honey.  If you want to pursue that body mind stuff, then go for it.”

She stretched up and pressed her lips against his softly to his.  “Thank you for your support.”

“Mmhmm.  You’re welcome honey”, he mumbled as he drifted off.

No comments:

Post a Comment