Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chapter 49


When the Draiman family reported to the hospital the next morning, only one person was allowed to go down into pre- op with Brie.  Of course, the one person that went was David.  Jake was getting ready to scrub in.  Brie looked at her husband as she fought off the sleepy feeling she had after the anesthesiologist had paid a visit.  “I’d rather be at home”, she said sleepily to David.

“I know, sweetie, and I’d rather you be at home.  But, would you rather be able to get around on your own and continue to do massage the last five years that you’re working, or not be able to work let alone walk for the rest of your life?”

She sighed.  “Will you be there when I wake up?” she asked.

“Of course I will”, he said, taking her hand in his.  He had to be careful of the IV in her hand, but took her hand and gently squeezed her hand.  “You’re going to be, ok, love.  Jake’s going to be in the OR with you.  He’s going to be my eyes in there.  He’ll make sure that everything is ok.  When they’re done sewing you back up and you’re moved to recovery, he’s going to come out to the waiting room and let us all know what’s going on and it the surgery was a success.”

She nodded slowly.  “That’s good.  I’m glad Jake’s going to be in there with me.”  Her eyes kept drooping closed and she snap them open again.  “I don’t know how much longer I can keep my eyes opened, baby.  I’m falling asleep.”

“It’s the anesthesia.  I’m sure the nurses will be in the take you back in just a moment.  Just relax, honey.  I’m here.  I’m not going anywhere until they come get you to fix your back.”

She took a deep breath and sighed softly.  “I’m going to sleep now, hon.  I’ll see you after Morgan fixes my back.  Love you.”

He smiled, softly.  “Ok, love.  I love you too.”  He brushed his knuckles across her cheek.  Sleep now, my angel.  I’ll be there when you wake up, he thought as a single tear rolled down his cheek.  He was afraid.  This young doctor was about to cut open the back of the love if his life.  He’d never let any of his kids, or his wife for that matter, see his fear, but he was honest and truly scared.  Spinal surgery was dangerous, no matter what kind of advances medicine had made.  He hoped that young Dr. Christian Morgan knew what he was doing.  He leaned over the railing of the bed and gave her a soft kiss.  “I love you”, he whispered in her ear.  “I’ll be sitting right there when you wake up.”

Dr. Morgan’s nurses came in.  “Mr. Draiman, we have to take her back now.  One of the orderlies will show you back up to the waiting area.  Your son’s scrubbing in now to observe.”

David nodded and stood.  “Make sure that Dr. Morgan takes good care of her, will you ladies?  That woman is my saving grace and I don’t know what I would do without her.”

“She’ll be fine, Mr. Draiman.  Dr. Morgan is very good at what he does and very competent.  We’ll keep him in line though.”

“Thank you , ladies.”  He turned and wiped the tear that had started to trickle down his cheek away as he walked toward the elevator door that lead to the waiting room where his children and grandchildren sat waiting.  “And now we sit and twiddle our thumbs until Jake comes out to tell us what happened”, he said with a sigh.

---------------

Jake made sure that every inch of his hands and arms were clean before rinsing off and shutting off the water.  “Walk me through this procedure one more time, Chris.  Something seems a little off.”

“I’m going to carefully cut back every layer of tissue between her skin and her spine with a scalpel.  Once I get to the spine, I’m going to take the water saw and a suction and I’m going to cut the fusion of your mother’s vertebrae.  It’s not really that complicated.”

“But, it’s a delicate procedure, is it not?”

“Very delicate.  One slip and I could ruin your mother’s chances of walking again.”

“You do that and my father will have your head.”

“That’s why I don’t need to slip.  Just keep my head in the game, Jake.  That’s all I’m asking of you.”

“If your head’s not in the game and my mother loses the ability to walk, my father won’t be the only one you have to worry about. Christian.  You got that?”

Christian chuckled.  “I got it, Jake.  You and your four brothers will help your father dismantle me.  I know.”

“Then that should be enough to keep your head in the game, my brother.  If not, then you’re going to get your head handed to you on a silver platter.”

They went into the operating room where the nurses and surgical techs helped them put their gowns, masks, and gloves on.  Christian still had his hand up.  “Ok, ladies and gentlemen.  The man that just walked in here with me is the patient’s son and a fellow doctor.  Her husband is the infamous David Draiman.  We fuck up and there’s a HUGE malpractice suit.  Let’s try to avoid that, shall we?”  They all nodded.  “Alright, let’s get this started, then.  Scalpel.”

---------------

David, his children and grandchildren all sat in the waiting room for what seemed like forever as they waited on Jake to come out and tell them what was going on.  David himself tried to sit alone in the room full of people so that he could think.  But, every time he moved, he was being shadowed by one of his children.  “Where are you going, Dad?” Jordan asked one of those times.

“I’m going to get something to DRINK, Jordan Hannah.  Do I need a shadow to go to the vending machine?” he snapped.

“Sorry, Dad, we’re all just worried about you and how you’re taking this.”

“I’m fine.  It would be nice if you and your siblings would stop asking me if everything is ok every time I BREATHE.  It would be even better if you would all give me a little breathing room so that I can THINK.  Now, I’m going to go get a bottle of water or a cup of coffee.  Back the hell off and let me have a little bit of time to myself or all NINE of you are going to have to deal with a PISSED OFF ME.” He walked down the hall toward the vending machines and got a cup of coffee and a bottle of water.  He was aggravated because he could do nothing but sit there and wait.  He wanted to lose his temper, but he couldn’t.  He leaned up against the wall- palms flat and his head hanging down- and sighed.  Calm down, David, he thought to himself.  She’s going to be fine and right now the best you can do is just sit here and be patient.  You need to calm down and relax.  Before you know it, Jake will be coming out to tell you that she’s being moved to her room from recovery.  Just read a book and don’t think about it.  He walked back to the waiting room and sat down.  After taking a sip of his coffee he pulled a book out of the bag he had sitting at his feet.  He sat back and flipped through the pages to find his place.  He needed to take his mind off of what was going on behind those double door and down the hall.  Once he found it, he pulled his glasses from the bag and started to read.

The hours that passed felt like minutes as he sat in the chair and read the text.  He was well and truly distracted when he heard the doors swing open and closed.  “Dad”, he heard Jake’s voice say.

He looked up.  “How did it go, Jacob?”

“It was a complete success.  She’s in recovery now.  She’ll be on the third floor, which is orthopedic, in room 315 if you want to meet her there”, he said with a smile.

David sighed in relief and stood.  He hugged Jacob.  “Thank you, Jacob.  That was a load off my mind”, he said as he patted his son on the back.

“No problem, Dad.  I wouldn’t have had this any other way.”

---------------

He sat next to her bed side with her hand in his as he sat there and waited for a little bit of eye movement.  He watched her with emotions raging in his eyes but his face was stone.  He was relieved that she was going to be ok, but anxious and afraid because of the road ahead.  Intense physical therapy may be called for and he hated to see her in pain.  He didn’t want to have to watch her push herself.

When her eyes fluttered he cracked a smile and hid the emotions in his eyes behind joy.  The woman he loved was waking up.  “Hey there, beautiful”, he said softly.

She smiled softly and caressed his cheek with her finger tips.  “Hey, handsome.  You kept your promise.”  Her voiced was hoarse from when they intubated her.

He smiled and held her hand against his cheek.  “Of course I did.  Did you doubt that I would?”  His eyes glistened with unshed tears.

“Not for a minute”, she said.  “I’m just glad you’re here.  I didn’t want to wake up here alone.”

He caressed her cheek with his free hand.  “I would never let you wake up here alone.”

She captured his hand against her cheek and turned her head to kiss his palm.  “Thank you.  You have no idea what this means to me, baby.”

“I’m be right here the entire time you’re here.  I’m not going anywhere.”

She nodded slowly.  “I’m going to go back to sleep now.  I’m trying to get the anesthesia out of my system.”

“Go on back to sleep, baby.  I’ll let the kids know you’re ok.”  He kissed her palm and let her drift back to sleep before going to going to let their children know that their mother was ok and that they could all go home now.

No comments:

Post a Comment